Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year, New Opportunities, Start Fresh

While I loathe New Year's resolutions I am all for a picking a new starting point. A new place to jump off and get going. Jan. 1 works just fine for me and I am kicking the New Year off with a diet change.


I read Body & Soul magazine (thanks Steph & Dom!) and decided to take a stab at their Whole Body Action Plan
A 28-day diet and exercise regime. It starts with 4 days of detox on a mostly liquid diet.

I've detoxed before and as I was doing this one I was wondering if the peeps at Body & Soul (and even Martha S. herself) had tried these recipes? Some of the smoothies were good like the mango one but others lacked taste and were not that filling. Check out the recipes here

So one day into it and I was starving after a lunch of salmon and ate a pound of almonds to make it to dinner. Dinner that night was a cucumber soup...it was water down and just plain crappy. I had rice pasta with vodka sauce instead :) So much for detoxing! If you really want to detox and get rid of some build up in the body... I am sorry to say it but colonics are the way to go!

Since this baby journey began 2+ years ago, I've changed my diet quite drastically. Cutting out most meat except fish and working hard at eating all-natural organic foods, shopping on the perimeters of the supermarket and taking good quality vitamins.

One thing I've had yet to try was cutting out a good portion of gluten from my diet. Gluten or not to Gluten...that is the question of the day. I've been putting this one off for a while. Gluten is a type of protein that is commonly found in rye, wheat, and barley. Therefore, it is found in most types of cereals and in many types of bread. For people diagnosed with an allergy to gluten it can cause inflammation in and damage to the lining of the small intestine, resulting in diarrhea, malabsorption, fat in the stool, and nutritional and vitamin deficiencies.

While I haven't been tested for celiac disease (an allergy to gluten) I am attempting to cut back on it to see how I feel. There is a frozen pizza I eat on occasion and while it’s all-natural...I always seem to get a headache after eating it. I suspect it's the gluten. I get headaches occasionally and would like to cut them out completely. My other reason is baby-related of course...since that is the theme of this blog.

Researchers who have studied women with infertility have found that they test positive for celiac disease-related antibodies at a rate that is ten-fold higher than the normal population. They have also demonstrated that women with infertility who are diagnosed with celiac disease do not always exhibit iron, B-12, or folate deficiencies, which points to other celiac disease-related explanations for the development of their infertility.

So I am on it...or off it I should say. If I can cut meat out of my diet I can cut gluten out. I am talking about bread and cookies and cakes mostly. I was given a recipe for gluten-free bread and it was easy to make...it’s more like batter versus regular dough. The recipe came from this Book

It came out pretty nice and tasted delish!



No comments:

Post a Comment