Saturday, January 9, 2010

If The Walls Are A Rockin'....Don't Come A Knockin'

So your bedroom is your sanctuary. It has always been for me and I always wanted something very comfy and cute. Since moving to Bangor to my mom's place...our room is very blah! Leaving NY we finally had a cute bedroom with color on the walls and all that. We don't plan to be here too much longer so we didn't want to get into painting...so we decided to change what we could bring with us! Our old-ass headboard. This headboard and the furniture that comes with it are in the Asian style and about 25 years old. It was the first bedroom set that my mom bought after her divorce. It’s seen better days.


So since I want a lovely place to go to sleep at night and as of Jan. 1 I am ready for change...Ant and I decided to re-do the headboard ourselves. It definitely took longer than we thought but it's well worth it!

This is the original headboard...just lovely some 20+ years ago...Ant and I have been dragging this thing around since I left Long Beach in 2001.




Below is my lovely hubby going along with my plan to make a change...he is cutting the wood to make a better shape! We spent about 2-1/2 days on the whole thing from finding the fabric and supplies to hand sewing 22 buttons on for tufting!






Back inside we added the foam padding and then covered it with batting...


We stretched the material over the entire headboard, stapled it into the back then sewed on the dreaded buttons. No photos exist of those horrid 3 hours. Holes were drilled in the back of the headboard and we pulled the nylon thread through the holes added the buttons then pushed it back through the foam, etc - most times getting back to the other side took FOREVER!! But voilĂ  it is done!



A small change made a big difference for our bed...hopefully it will add some magic too :)



No comments:

Post a Comment