Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My medicine cabinet

WHEN I am sick, or feeling like something may be coming on, these are my go-to's for fighting whatever is lurking on the horizon.

Probiotics, Manuka honey, essential oils, organic tea
and Coconut oil (for everything else!)

I was talking to my step-mom the other day and she was fighting the flu and I told her that she would laugh at me if she saw what I do to fight off any kind of sickness!

It always starts with Manuka honey, which is a specific kind of honey from New Zealand and Australia that comes from the nectar of the manuka tree.

It has antibacterial properties (I also use in on wounds). When I am sick or feel like I am coming down with a cold, etc. I take a spoonful and swallow it. I don't add it to my tea or anything else, just straight spoonfuls. I do that several times a day.

I also use Young Living essential oils A LOT. There are many essential oils on the market, like DoTerra, but I use YL. Just make sure whatever you use is of the highest quality and purity. Not only do I use YL oils topically, what I also ingest them and they are safe for ingestion, but not all brands are so check on that!

So if I am having a chest issues like a cough, I rub RC, Raven, and  Durado Azul on my chest SEVERAL times a day. I also diffuse the oils as well all day long. I use Thieves on the bottoms of my feet and also put a drop on my tongue (it helps a sore throat like no other!) and also rub some along my glands on my neck and throat. I also use Purification on my neck and glands too.

I also have an oil called Breath Again, which is a roll-on that I use along my sinuses on my face and forehead. The key with any natural remedy is you MUST do it several times a day for it to make a difference, at least that is how it is for me.

I take probiotics regularly but amp them up when I am sick, as well as drink tons of tea!

The Coconut oil is just something I use for so many things. I cook with it, use it on my skin. I just added it in the photo bc its part of my medicine cabinet!

Do you think I am nutty yet? Well I may be, but it has worked for me time and again.

In college, I was so absolutely unhealthy and used to get bronchitis on the regular. There were tons of factors responsible for that including my poor eating habits and partying like it was 1999 (I was in college from 96-00, so the song does apply :) Since college, whenever I am getting the smallest of a cold, I am eventually on antibiotics for an infection.

But I have cleaned up my act on all fronts, including what I eat, and loads of other things in my house, like what I use to clean my house, etc. Part of my evolution was trying to avoid the use of antibiotics.

I am happy to say that following the above mentioned list of goodies,I have not been on antibiotics for more than a year and a half. That is HUGE for me because I have been sick several times but managed to handle it with my own brew of goodness.

My husband got the flu this year. When he started to feel crappy, I started taking manuka honey as a precaution. I ended up with this strange one-to-two day flu-ish thing that was nothing compared to what he had. I was militant about the oils, honey, probiotics, etc. and I avoided the plague!!

***I purchased that Manuka Honey at Fairway, although I have purchased it at Whole Foods in the past. I also bought the probiotics pictured above at Fairway (WF also has that brand). I get that huge jar of coconut oil at Costco and the tea at Fairway. The Young Living Oils can be purchased by becoming an independent distributor.




No comments:

Post a Comment