Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Headboard mama drama

I want something like this!
I want a new bed frame and I love upholstered headboards. Several years back the hubs and I did this redo of our headboard when we needed a bedroom lift and it worked nicely!

But the colors (and location) of our bedroom have changed and I want a new headboard with a new frame.

The process to find one that isn't filled with harmful, carcinogenic petroleum products like polyurethane and brominated flame retardants is damn near impossible!

 We are a synthetic-happy country and companies like William-Sonoma try to get the word "green" into descriptions of their products but when you call to find out more, customer service is at a loss.

Here is how the convo went:

ME: Hi, I'm calling for more information about your Hampton Headboard. The description on the website says that its part of your Green Collection but there are no details in the description of the product. It doesn't state that the fabric used or the components are organic or all natural. I am really wondering what is the stuffing made of in the upholstered headboard? What kind of foam is it?

(FROM THE WS website: This item is part of our Green Collection. Our Green Collection creates truly great design with an eco-friendly point of view. These Green products are distinguished by any one of the following characteristics: Organic, Re-cycled, Re-claimed, Sustainable.)

WS: Please hold
ME: on hold for several minutes
WS: I don't have any information that tells me what that is (i.e. the foam/filling)
ME: This says its part of  the WS Green Collection. Where is that collection because when I search your site, nothing comes up. I also Googled it and didn't find a collection either.
WS: It's really not a collection. It's part of the manufacturing process but not a collection.
ME: Ok,  but you call it a collection and it's capitalized. You should probably change the description if there is no real Green Collection. So there isn't anything that is organic or sustainable or re-claimed in it?
WS: Well....I don't know

Job well done William-Sonoma customer service! You are rockin' it!

UPDATE: I received an email from WS and the stuffing in the headboard is made of polyester. So not really "green" or all-natural or whatever they want to call it.

The other day I also called Pottery Barn to inquire about the foam filling in another headboard and the young woman on the phone told me there was no filling in the upholstered/tufted headboard. I told her, no sweetie, look at the picture, it's there.
"Oh ok. Well I can ask someone in the furniture department and can email you the answer within 7 business days," she said.
I told her to never mind because if they are not putting it out there, then it's probably not something I want touching my head every night.

Crate and Barrel comes close with a soy-based foam but the description is not totally clear since some of them descriptions also say, 'other' materials.

So the search continues...we may end up making another one ourselves. When we made our first headboard we weren't thinking about what kind of foam we put in there so I will have to find another, better material!

If you want more info on nasty chemicals and your furniture, check out this piece from the Environmental Working Group.






No comments:

Post a Comment