Friday, October 15, 2010

A baby story...

Lately I've been hearing a lot of birth stories and since I have a lot of time to think about it and plan it, the more I am leaning towards a home birth. I am not at all  impressed with hospital births these days.

My sister-in-law just had her third baby and she delivered him at home - all safe and sound! It was such a difference seeing her that morning  - walking around and everyone was quiet and happy and the mood was just so relaxed - versus her other two births at the hospital when she was exhausted and the babies were screaming all night long. Many people believe that they way you came into this world says a lot about your personality so why not try to make it as smooth and natural as possible?

I know many people have complications and home births are often controversial but women have been doing it for years and that is what our bodies are designed for. Maybe its time we take them back!

Initially I thought I would head straight to the hospital and get my epidural and not feel a thing, like some women have said about their birth experiences. But the more I read and heard about hospital births, the more my mind was changing.

Then I watched the Business of Being Born and I was even more sold! I need to get pregnant first, of course, so for now it's just day dreaming. I know that sounds strange but that's what happens when you have a lot of time to think!




1 comment:

  1. I was greatly swayed by that doc, too. I'm not sure I'd do it totally at home, but maybe in one of those facilities where it's like a home birth. I also saw something recently about how there are hospitals in impoverished areas that can't afford incubators, so they just keep the baby continually attached to the mom in a sling (skin to skin) and that works just as well, if not better. Why do we use incubators if that is the case?!

    ReplyDelete