Tuesday, March 9, 2010

To Facebook or Not To Facebook...

Recently, I've started a few sentences, as I was talking to my husband that began something like this, "so I was on Facebook the other day..." They usually end with me saying that I feel like crap. And he then replies by telling me to delete my account.


Oh dreaded Facebook...you can love it and hate it. My little dog, Ruby, loves to chase her tail and run in circles. I always say that her tail is her best friend and worst enemy. She loves it and hates it at the same time.

Facebook is my tail. I love keeping up with friends and extended family...seeing their photos, etc. But I hate it for how easily I can make myself (I blame no one but me) feel like crap by reading updates of friends, etc.

That damn tail!!

I've been logging onto RESOLVE (The National Infertility Association). They have lots of discussion groups on there and I've read quite a few and so many are about Facebook and how hard it is to read all the updates of friends who are having babies. The simple answer is: stop going on Facebook! But we are all a glutton for punishment and I am no different.

So why do we subject ourselves to it? To be in the know? To have a reason to feel like crap? I don't know. I really don't.

What I do know is that these updates, for me, don't sting as much as they used to. If I give into my dark side that wants me to run away and hide whenever I hear baby news I wouldn't see the light of any day for its real beauty. You can't live your life in darkness.

When two of my friends were pregnant and I was invited to the showers I forced myself to go. Despite the cringing I felt inside and wanting to run away and cry, I went. I had to...they would be there for me and I had to be there for them. It was a pivotal moment in their lives and I am a friend first before I am "someone trying to conceive." I know, it’s quite a hurdle to jump over and it may not happen but at least you tried.

And if you need a good laugh or are just fed up with the posts of some parents, you can always take a stroll through the STFU Parents site. (As in Shut The F*ck Up). It's for parents who over share on FB. It’s funny when you see the actual parents respond and owe up to it.

http://stfuparents.tumblr.com/

You have to laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can!

Laughter is like mercy; it heals. When you can laugh at yourself, you are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment